Glenn had us start by removing all the cotter pins from the wing and strut bolts and the control cables.We then took the ailerons off and set them aside. Then the wings and struts came off. Moving back to the tail, Glenn and Dave took the elevators off. While Skyler was setting them down, he and I took the stabilizers off, which went much easier than anticiapated and put us well ahead of schedule.
Rolling the Cub out into the sunlight, we pushed it up onto the trailer, barely having enough width for the main gear to fit. Then Dave and I watched as Glenn and Sky built the tail support piece out of 2 x 4's. Laying the wings under the fuselage, we padded them and tied them down with ratchet-straps.
The struts, ailerons, tail-feathers, four engine cylinders and all the associated hardware went into the back of the pickup. We almost forgot that cecause the cylinders were off the airplane, it had no compression, the prop would windmill once we started driving, but Glenn caught that at the last second.and secured the prop with rope to the engine mount.
Then with tears in his eyes, Dave and I exchanged huge hugs, he signed the airplane over to me, asked me to call him when we arrived home. He said it felt like he was losing his identity but it made him happy that the airplane was going to a good home.Five hours of driving later, we pulled up infront of my house and unloaded the airplane. It only took 15 minutes to get her off the trailer and into the garage.
Now the real fun starts.