Thursday, January 29, 2009

I love my snowblower!

The snowstorm came overnight, a little later than expected. We got about 6" of rain, freezing rain, ice pellets and snow. I pulled out my 33-year old Toro that I inherited from my father and with a little coaxing (read sitting in the house where it's warm) it fired up.

1-27-09 Cub Progress-Painting the throttle covers.

With only two full days off between trips and the forecast of a winter storm, Sky and I aren't venturing far from home. I brought the throttle covers come after painting them black. Sky is applying white paint to the raised letters and learning how to be patient to get good results.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1-21-09 Cub Progress

Made good progress today. Flipped the floorboards over as they'd been varnished on Monday and varnished the other side. Learned how to nicopress fittings onto the end of control cables and started installing parts back inside the fuselage.

Monday, January 19, 2009

1-19-09 Cub Progress - Varnishing the Stringers and Floorboards.

Sky and I spent the day varnishing the 5 stringers that help mak.e the shape of the airplane and the floorboards. We also spent some time in with Glenn to have a Rib-Stitching 101 lesson

1-14-09 Cub Progress - New Control Cables

After cleaning off the cables and seeing how much junk (mouse-droppings, paint, dirt, etc.) they were covered with, I decided to replace them with new stainless steel ones. I originally didn't want to take up Glenn's time making new cables if these were servicable, but the more I thought about it and keeping in mind that I didn't want to change them five years down the road or have Skyler have to change them, I ordered new cable and fittings. They should be here tomorrow or friday.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

1-10-09 Cub Progress

Skyler primed the floorboards and then helped me install the trim system. Then we watched and listened as Glenn explained as he cut the interior fuselage fabric what we were trying to do. He explained about overlaps and how the fabric how to be laid out depending upon where it was in the cockpit and how it was to be fastened to which piece of tubing. In the bottom photo he helps Sky clamp the fabric to a crossmember.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

1-08-09 Cub Progress

Laid out the floorboards and test fit with the bolts that hold them in place. Put a brake part in place to drill the holes for them. When I got here, I started to get excited because I could see how much closer we were to having an airplane. Put the vertical fin back on the airplane. Found some more parts (ugh) that need to be painted.

1-07-09 Cub Progress

Painted some more small pieces today and laid out and cut out the floorboards.

Monday, January 5, 2009

1-05-09-Ordered the paint!

This morning I had Glenn place a call to his friend in California to order the poly-tack, polybrush, poly-this, poly-that and the paint for the Cub. We've decided to go with the traditional yellow with black trim.

Now I have to get on the Cub Club site and get copies of STC's and 337's pertaining to wing tanks as I know in a few years I'll be putting in a bigger engine, we'll be putting in the tanks now while we have the wings uncovered.