Sunday, June 29, 2008

Whatever happened to the Barnstormers?




My family went to Jefferson City, MO today to visit the Barnstormers on their last stop. It was like seeing old friends although I had met many of them just 10 days previous.
The weather was cool, windy but felt good.
When the CAA introduced Licensing of Pilots and Planes in the late 1920's, it all but put an end to the barnstormers. But what did these pilots do over a winter? If they broke down and couldn't get parts? I bet many barnstormers did it a season and then had to find work, either in the mail service or settle down and get a "decent" job.
I was thrilled to be a part of the 2008 Tour. I hope to do it again.
Top-Chris Price does a TV interview.
Middle-Gary Lust with his Travel Air 4000
Bottom-Frank Flanagan and Clay Adams.






No comments: