Saturday, August 13, 2016

Oshkosh-Day 1

We had driven up to Madison Tuesday afternoon. Just Sky and I this year. Glenn had cancelled out at the last minute. We pulled into Camp Scholler about 9:15 am, paid our fees, found a spot and set up our tents.

I always wanted to take a Mustang to Oshkosh and this year, I
was not to be denied. I took Mighty Mustang! And Sky too!
Row 14 1/2 of Camp Scholler.

After we were all set, we hiked 3 miles, both ways uphill and in the snow, down to the Antique/Classic Flightline. We stopped at our favorite fast food restaurant-Subway-"Eat Fresh!" and had a bite.

Our friend John Cournoyer was about to give a talk in Interiew Circle on his beautiful Waco brought up this year by Terry Gardner and Jimmie Johnson.

Ray Johnson interviews Jimmie Johnson, l and John Cournoyer.

That ended and we decided to see what was there in the Antique/Classics. We saw six Spartan Executives and ended up talking with our photographer friend Eric Presten.

Reflection of Interview Circle as seen in the spinner of a Spartan Executive.

Wandering aimlessly thru the Classics, we came upon a beautiful 1929 Bellanca CH300.

But storm clouds were brewing, raindrops were beginning to be felt, so we hightailed it to the nearest shelter, in the case being one of the EAAs parking garages for all the little scooters.

We stayed there past the first wave. Sky decided to run back to camp and close up all our tents
(ed. note:   uh-ooooohhhhhh).

By the time he got back, it was Air Show time. He didn't want to watch and instead headed out to Warbirds to see what was there. I was hoping to see the A-20 Havoc come in or the P-39 make a few fly-bys but it was the same, old boring stuff.

I got a text from Sky during the air show: "Good thing I left Aeroshell Square"....
Just like a fighter jock, falling for some girl out at fly-in...

I told him we didn't come all the way here to look at girls! Geesh, what's wrong with that boy?

He didn't even notice the name of the front of the Mustang!

I wasn't leaving the flightline just so he could take some girl out to dinner, I had airplanes to watch!

(ed note: The previous is filled with sarcasm and should be taken as such by the reader.)

After the boy had a cold shower, we went to the Hangar Cafe, now being run by the Machine Shed and waited for the night airshow to start.

Sky was tired, so he left early and went back to camp. I stayed and shot the night airshow from the flightline.

Coming back to our tents, we found some of the contents a little wet, Okay, a lot wet. His sleeping bag was soaked and he slept in his clothes. My clothes bag was soaked but I had a dry sleeping bag.

Stay tuned for Day 2 of our great Airventure.

No comments: